THIRTY-FIRST DAY

BY A GOOD INTENTION TO MAKE EVEN OUR MOST TRIVIAL ACTIONS AND SUFFERINGS MERITORIOUS, AND OFFER THEM FOR THE DELIVERANCE OF THE HOLY SOULS


As rational beings we should have a distinct object in view in all our actions. By performing even the most trivial act from the motive, thereby to please our dear Lord, and to do His holy will, they may become meritorious. It is understood that these acts are not contrary to the commandments of God and His holy Church, and that the person be in a state of grace. People who are working from early in the morning till late at night can assist the suffering souls in an efficacious manner by offering their toil and fatigue in union with the merits of Jesus and Mary for the relief of the suffering souls. Sick persons, and those enduring mental sufferings, such as temptations, scruples, contempt, slander, unjust treatment; those who mourn for the loss of a near relative or a dear friend, etc., may make the same intention in regard to their particular suffering.
Prayer : My dear Redeemer, how many occasions have I lost to gain merits by a good intention, and thus to assist Thy holy spouses! Pardon my negligence, and graciously assist me to turn every precious moment of time to advantage by a good intention, and to make up for the past. In union with Thy merits, and those of Thy holy Mother Mary and all the saints, I unite all my thoughts, words, deeds, and spiritual and bodily sufferings for the future, till my last breath, and offer them for the suffering souls. In return I beseech the holy souls to obtain for me, and all those for whom I am in duty and love bound to pray, spiritual and temporal favors, and abundant grace to lead a holy life and persevere to the end of their life. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen
Special Petition : Pray for the souls who spent time uselessly, and were negligent in making and renewing the good intention.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them; may they rest in peace. Amen.              
(Three times)
Practice : When rising in the morning I shall never omit to make my good intention for the coming day, and to renew the same at least every hour, by saying: For love of Jesus and Mary, and the relief of the suffering souls.
Invocation : My Jesus, mercy!